Sunday 20 January 2013

How is it that I became a writer?

I have been writing shot stories poems and various other bits and pieces since I was around 12. But I never once considered myself a writer until recently. In my childhood I always thought of writers as people one would never even see or meet. Most of the writers whose work I read where dead and those that where alive where always being talked about excitedly by the adults around me. It almost felt sometimes that writers where  merely names on the front of books that someone had invented a personality around. Being a writer never seemed to me something that real people did. I thought i was merely having fun by imitating what had come before me.

But as I reached college and university  I became more and more aware that writer's did exist. not only that but they could sometimes even be fairly ordinary if not dull. suddenly the mystique was gone. but knowing that writers where not all that special did not upset me. Rather it made me think that if being a writer is something that these people could manage then why not me? Maybe one day I would be a name on a book that someone might pick up and read believing the author to be a wonderfully talented fellow. They would never know that the person who wrote that book once spent 4 hours playing brickbreaker on his phone

No comments:

Post a Comment